Saturday, September 30, 2006



The Banquet

Last week I received a very pretty invitation "requesting the pleasure of my presence" at a banquet held for National Day (the day Mao declared communist rule and China became the People's Republic of China).

All of the foreign teachers were invited. We were picked up in a mini bus and driven to the far West side of Suzhou in the height of Friday rush hour traffic on a long-weekend. It was horrible. A lot more stop than go. In fact, we discussed how the Brits had rode their bikes to the location (previously) in a mere 20 minutes, while we were still on route over 45 minutes later.

Once we arrived at the Shangri-La hotel (oh my posh!!) we walked into the Grand Ballroom expecting a layout of tables and chairs only to discover nothing of the sort. There were many people standing around drinking and eating. I didn't bring a bad since I thought I'd have a table, but it was ok. We spent the night mingling.
The Ballroom was beautiful.
Check out the size of the chandelier (and there were 2!!!!)
The food was amazing (way too many sweets for my own good). There were women playing musical instruments, dancers and a singer.....and FREE WINE!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had a ball, however only 2 hours after the beginning of the banquet the entertainment stopped, a picture or two were taken of the mayor (I think that was him) and everyone disappeared. Being in a group with over 6 Brits, we quickly realized the stereotype of them being the last to leave a party is indeed true.
This is me waiting around for the group to leave. The room is practically empty at this point.
Admittedly the night did not feel over, but since I'm a former waitress I understand how it feels to want everyone to go home.

After some coaxing we got the Brits out and headed to the lounge in the lower level of the hotel. It was wonderful and the drinks were very well priced, but the best part was the washrooms. We know our way around Suzhou by the washrooms in the locations. These were spectacular!!!

Since the night was getting late, we headed to a bar near home and after breaking the dart board....yes I broke the dart board (how I don't know) we headed home.....had to be up early to teach today (SATURDAY uhhhh).
This was to be my first saturday class, but luckily the classes were cancelled (they had track day).......so now we're sitting around trying to determine what to do with week off that we get.....the choices, the choices

3 Comments:

Blogger The Johnsons said...

Glad you had a good time at the banquet. Was there no warning or hint that it was time to leave? Or were you all so overwhelmed that you just didn't notice.
Beaking the dartboard must be an complishment not too many people can claim. Hope you get to go somewhere on your week off. Enjoy your second vacation in China.
Love mom

5:54 AM  
Blogger The Johnsons said...

Hey bre,
awesome...broken dart board...lol strong arms?
the banquet looks so beautiful....and im sure the washrooms were amazing compared to squating...!
Take care,
love you,
enjoy house!!!
Kelly

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice tin foil top

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home