
Blog #1:
After 20 hours of travelling I am now in China!!!
And after 5 days of struggling to get help with my internet, I now have the internet in my room!! This convenient internet access means that my room has become the place to be on the floor, but most importantly it means that I can let you all know how things are going on a fairly regular basis.
China is wonderful, people are great and everyone has been so helpful. This country is so different from Canada that I could spend all day telling you the interesting things I am seeing and experiencing, but because I actually want you all to read it, I will try to keep things are short as possible, while still giving you a feel for China. This one will be long as it will tell of my first week.

My first week has been a little hectic, setting up my room, cleaning, discovering my neighbourhood and trying to set up the internet in my room. Once we arrived at the dorm, we were taken out for a great dinner. The food in China is very good, very cheap, and not always what you expect. For breakfast the next morning we were given wonderful honey covered buns....with mystery insides. While it was odd, it was not edible. I'm being quite courageous with all of that. I sampled Tomato-Strawberry juice (I didn't realize the other red fruit on the bottle I was so looking forward to consuming was a tomato) and several mystery meats. Yes...I know they eat dog in China, but what I don't know shouldn't kill me. It might make me sick, but oh well.
One of the hardest things about this experience so far was unpacking, seeing as how every drawer or cupboard in my room was full of the last tenants crap. After careful organization and some light cleaning (the heavy stuff will be hit soon), my room is starting to feel a little more like my own.
This is my new room. The bed is hard, but big (too big---I miss Mat!), but the windows are big and the furniture is decent.
This is my bathroom. Note the flushing toilet (mine flushes for nothing more than #1--the living room bathroom is used for that--oh, and toilet paper does NOT go in the toilet. That's a hard one to remember,
so yes, I've already had to go fishing....oh China). Hotels seem to be the only place with flushing toilets. All other toilets in China are of the squating kind. Some are modern porcelain, but most are long trenches in the ground, divided by very short partitions. If you are lucky, you get one that has a door--although I have only seen this in the school (yes, I will have to use a squater at school--the same washroom as the students too! oh the shame!!!). I have yet to use one of these, but I am preparing myself for the day...plus then I get to say I've done it. I guess I now understand why most Chinese women wear dresses.
To make sure I don't get too homesick I've even made a collage of pictures that I had printed today. It's quite nice.
Outside of my house (which is an old hotel in a laneway in the tourist part of Suzhou) there is a lovely river, which you must cross in order to get anywhere in the city. This is the river with a gondola going by. It is not very clean, but the architecture around it and the sheer fact that its a river with a gondola is intriguing.
In the hotel, I am living with 5 other teachers. This is a picture of everyone teaching at Zhenhua Middle School with me. I'm not sure if bamboo is native to Suzhou, but it is real bamboo and I love it! It's near the campus entrance. (L-R) Kian and Paul are from England,me,Marie-France my house mate, is from Quebec and Rita from Australia. Christine, from Colorado, also lives with us, but she teaches at the senior school and is not in this picture. Everyone is very nice and so far we are all getting along great!
These are the basics of my life in Suzhou...stayed tuned for some tales (which should actually be quite interesting).
Till then XOXO
12 Comments:
Hiii Breena...
Poor Poor girl you are you have to SQUAT i hope you dont plan on using the bathroom at any times of the day ide just hold it unless it was bad OMG what happens if your on your time of the month what the heck do you do ...right there in the openwhat the heck!!! aww i hope your having fun so far dont forget to take LOTS of pictures ...as i can see you already have!!! well i love you very much and i hope your having a great time!!! Love Jessica.L.<3
hey breena,
its me ur cuzzin julee, how u doin i miss u and i hpoe u are having a great timein china!! is it hard learning the language? well if it is it just might be as hard to speak chinese as it is to be teaching english[ well maybe not what do i know lol.] well et some good pictures and shen them to me when u come back home ok !! i feel sorry that u need to squat that mush hurt ur legs lol* and ur toilet dont flush, oh poor u it must stink some times lol!! get some good food and try some new food i hope its good food lol well send me a e-mail soon if u can and tell me some more funny things about china and some good things too! is it hard to eat with chop sticks because everytime i try i just end up stapping the thing and eating but i end up killing the thing again even though it sounds funny !! lol { well i miss u lots and cant wait for u to come home * months is a long time for me by the time my mom will already have had the baby well wish u the best of louk and have a good time i like ur blog actually i love it just like i love u xxoxoxoxoxxxoxox
PS:dont forget to put the toilet paper in the trash not in the toilet and need to go fishing again lol joking have fun!!
sincearly:JULEE.L XOX
BREE,
I PUSHED THE WRONG THING I DIDN KNOW LOL I AM WIERD LOL WELL THE MESSAGE ABOVE WAS MINE LOL JULEE
LOVE COUSIN JULEE .L XOX
Hey Jess and Julee. It is good to hear from you. I hope you are doing well. Thank you for reading my blog. The washroom is hard to adapt to, but I haven't had to use one yet, so it's ok so far (yep Jess...it's all right in the open).
I hope you've had a good summer and you're ready to go back to school.
Love you both
Hey there ol woman !! What an experience you must be having ! I am so proud of you..keep on smiling..you're far braver than I could ever be..the toilet thing would've killed it for me LOL. Have fun and take great care of yourself please!!! Love ya lots!! Crystal xoxxo
i some how lost the stuff i wrote,lol the one i sent for bay and john went but not mine.shit lol..i just wanted you to know i miss you and love you..we are all so proud of you and i cant wait to read more about china through you..but as everyone else says the bathroom thing is hard..you will be fine..have the time of your life..take care we love you bye for now ,,,love starr
Hi honey, miss you very much. I love your article it is fantastic. Take care and loads of fun! Love you lots and lots xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxooxoxoxoxOscar Says hello and give you abig hug
Love the pictures. You sound like a travel show, I almost feel like I'm there with you. Just wanted to say what a great job you are doing.
Love ya
Mom
Hey Bre!
We are missing you at Home...i think the 'rents are going nuts...hope they don't bother me more now...lol...j/k!
Time for bed...
talk to you soon..
love you!
Your amazing sister KELLY!
hi me again...loving the pic's you post. hope you are enjoying the time there.how is the mac donalds and kfc there?does it taste the same or at least close to what you are use too?we miss you and again so proud and happy ..can't wait to read more about your life in china...love starr xoxo
Hey Bre,
DAD told me you started teaching already...true? Well if so...good luck...and enjoy! How's the language barrier going?
Talk soon
love kelly
YOUR ONE IN A MILLION,WE ALL LOVE YOU LOVE PHYLLIS
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home