Working sucks!
So it's been a long week and even longer since I last blogged. Sorry. I've been really busy and really tired lately, but mostly I've just been hit by the realization that I actually have a job (no a career----even worse, since you're not supposed to quit those things) you know the thing that you get out of bed for every day only to get a little money every now and then. I know my parents are laughing now, but man it's crap. and I like my job. I can't even imagine how horrible it'd be if I hated it.
I have begun to learn Chinese with a Chinese tutor a group of us hired. The first lesson was spent on basics (alot of which I already knew), but I did learn how to say "If you don't understand what I'm saying, please tell me. Ok?" I've tried it out on my students and they get a kick out of it. I even get applause---which is different from the usual gales of laughter (that one's for Ananya).
I'm still teaching the Kindergartens on Wednesdays and they're still cute, though I can see that wearing off in a bit. Teaching is very different in China. In Ontario you can't put your hand on a child's shoulder without being accused of physical/sexual assault. In China, the teacher is very much like a mother to the students (especially to the younger ones). The classroom teacher for my kindergartens will grab the kids to make them do things they are disobeying, but she also hugs and kisses them (on the lips). It was shocking to see at first, but now it explains why they can't stop touching me when I'm near them. They're used to physical contact, which is oddly refreshing.
There is one little boy who really won't leave me alone. He came up and kissed me goodbye (cute), but then proceeded to help push me to the door. Maybe it was like holding my hand (which most of them can't reach, because I am so tall and they are so small (it's funny to watch). They sit on chairs and I sit on the floor beneath them and we're at eye level.
So I've sort of stopped exploring the geography of the city, but I've begun exploring in detail areas I know...like my street. I actually went into stores for the first time. It's good to know that I'm a XXXL in China---which broke my heart, but atleast lets me know I might be able to find something to wear. Shoes on the otherhand are a joke. Only mens---which is fine, but I'm the biggest men's size they sell (44). One lady laughed when she heard how big my feet are---I laugh too, when I'm not crying on the inside. No really, I'm fine for shoes, so it's fine. I did manage to buy a pair of Pumas (fake, but nice) and after some light bargaining (which I am so good at) I paid just under $8.
My cheap shoes
Things here are cheap. We went out for beers last week, to a really cheap bar and the beers were $1.50. The expensive bars sell them for $4, (which is still a little cheaper than Toronto).
I also bought a chinese purse ($3.50) 
and a bag ($12). 
It's amazing how much money you can save if you don't buy silly things, like every episode of House, CSI and Friends (which I must admit, I've done---but still only paid $40 for all of them together).
I've got to say I'm not missing the cold you've all got. Enjoy it. I'll be here in a t-shirt, drinking $1 beer on a patio. Oh, life is hard.
3 Comments:
Hey,
fake pumas, i just spent 80 on real....thats 10 times more then u spent....ahhhh!
take care...keep shopping...
Hey Beana,
I'm glad to see your doing well. I've been following your little mini adventures along the way but I just got the internet at my place today so i thought i would say hi. We all miss you and can't wait to see you hopefully sometime soon? Make sure to take care of yourself and have fun.
Love ya
Baker(z)
bah, $1 dollar beer is no biggie. we also have that here. it's called the amazing Laker beer. stay safe, just don't catch some communicable disease from a little chinese kid kissing you on the lips
linda
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home