Thursday, February 22, 2007


SHENZHEN

Shenzhen is the southern most city in Guandong province, bordering Hong Kong and best known for its shopping markets and SARS. This is the place where all things, from puppy (yep its eaten here---in Chongqing we saw one dried and hung) and fetus make it to the dinner table.

Now that you're thoroughly disgusted and probably vomiting, let's continue.

The city of Shenzhen is close to Hong Kong and has lots of Western stuff....like the good old 7-11, where even nothing can cost you $50. I felt like I was at home.



The first day was spent shopping and finding our way around the city---literally. In the market Mat thought it would be 'fun' to buy a compass, though I have clearly demonstrated the workings of my internal compass. After hours of "You want bag? Watch?" we had enough and began our walk to the very ---I mean VERY close hotel. The interteresting this about Chinese markets are that cars are not allowed and the roads are more like paths in a loud and obnoxious maze. Completely turned around, we focused on the real compass. Though my head said one thing Mat's 'compass' said another....so I grumpily set off. After walking "south "for 3 hours (and still not hitting Hong Kong) and with no hotel in sight, we got in a cab......who turned around. It turns out the compass is perfectly aligned....to South. Though we thought we were walking south, the compass was really leading us north. It turns out buying a Chinese compass for under 2 dollars is not reliable.


our last day in Shenzhen was spent in awe at the size and utility of the Minsk, an aircraft carrier from the Navy of USSR.

Here she is!




Because of the upcoming New Year, they hired a Russian band and some Polish dancers.


They really try to be authentic too....too bad the Russian soldier has slanty eyes (sorry mom...). Though I do wonder where the giant inflantable bears in the background fit in.

P.S. I don't hate China---this is just funny.


This one's for Kelly, who requested a sample of the Chinese-English signs. Good luck with this one. We've got months of Chinglish experience and still can't figure it out.



And here is Mat. On a big gun thing. Sort of a tank...but not.


"Het Mat! What is this?"
"It's field artillary."


It's field artillary.....whatever that means.


"It means don't step in front of it"



And here's me. Checking out the hottie pilot. I had a 'Pearl Harbour' moment. Oh Ben Affleck flying a plane. Mat just pointed out that I'm in China (not Japan) on a Russian aircraft carrier (not German) looking at a jet (not a propeller plane)....hey, it flies doesn't it?



We weren't the only Canadians though. Here we met G.I. Canuck and his Jewish friend. Oh how Russian.


What a jolly good time was spent in Shenzhen. The tip of the China-berg came with the purchase of a brand new rolly bag to accommodate our new purchases (you're not getting anything Kelly). Turns out, not only are compasses a bad idea, but rolly bags aren't so great either....this one didn't even make it to the bus stop.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Johnsons said...

Looks like you are both enjoying all the traveling and new discoveries.
It seems that you have visited some very interesting places. The ship does look massive. Did Mat feel a little at home or was it a foreign to him as it would be to me?
The sign is very funny; if this was the way things were translated during the war I'm really glad that I wasn't involved.
Well hope you enjoy the last of your vacation and keep blogging.
Love and miss you mom

1:25 AM  
Blogger The Johnsons said...

hahaha! i really enjoyed this blog...actually the best yet!

you receive an GOLDEN STAR!

so what was up with that sign? wow...its kinda like my english-french translation (since it was all done on a website..lol...oh well)

Glad to see your still enjoying yourself.

Scott and I really enjoyed the pictures...especially mat's PEACE POSE!...lol...i at least found that one to be good..! scott really enjoyed the english sign...! we laughed really hard!!!


we miss you...!

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home